Lessons

1. If VIX is under 26, buy the dip. If VIX is over 26, sell the rip.

2. Always trade in the direction of the larger trend. Find the strongest trend in your time period.

3. Nothing as bearish as a failed breakout. Nothing as bullish as a failed break down.

4. Don't worry about the last dollar. Take your money and go to the beach!

5. No more than four positions at a time. Preferably 2-4. Scope out others. Pick the strongest.

6. Buy the strongest; sell (short) the weakest.

7. Nothing is guaranteed. Nothing.

Monday, December 21, 2009

12/21

I have to figure out exactly what role trading plays in my life, along with writing, yoga and meditation.

I have to make a system for trading.

Part of my system now is buying at support -- as indicated first by trendlines and second by retracements. I would like to buy along the direction of the larger trend.

As part of the system, I need to clarify the time spent on trading (time of day and amount of time), the stops instituted, and what to do when I cannot watch.

I also need to know what kind of trade -- VST, ST, or IT, I am instituting.

And the amount of trading capital used.

One way would be to trade the Euro/USD on two time frames -- VST/ST and intermediate. ST with half capital. One unit when sure, two when very sure. Same with IT.

If a trade against the major trend, get in and out quickly!

If you are with the trend, wait, even if you don't get a great entry. Or build your entry over time, taking profits as you go.

The best is to get in the trend early in the trend.

Aim now is to build a short position in EURO/USD over 2-4 days but to trade it both ways until then, shorting at going long extremes.

No comments: