Lessons

1. If VIX is under 26, buy the dip. If VIX is over 26, sell the rip.

2. Always trade in the direction of the larger trend. Find the strongest trend in your time period.

3. Nothing as bearish as a failed breakout. Nothing as bullish as a failed break down.

4. Don't worry about the last dollar. Take your money and go to the beach!

5. No more than four positions at a time. Preferably 2-4. Scope out others. Pick the strongest.

6. Buy the strongest; sell (short) the weakest.

7. Nothing is guaranteed. Nothing.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

November 10 Lessons

Something is not working, or I wouldn’t be down 10% in one week.


LESSONS FROM CSCO EARNINGS

I got a bit unlucky with CSCO and CTSH this year. I also trusted the GS calls blindly, going into earnings, and didn't buy any real protection.

Lessons:

1. I will NOT hold onto uncovered calls going into earnings. I will buy some Puts. Even if analyst expectations are great, I will COVER MY ASS with good Puts.

2. I did a good job on getting rid of expensive CSCO calls ahead of earnings.

3. I need to focus on fundamental analysis: Buy long-term calls in undervalued firms that will come up.

4. I will always have Puts in place. Even if I am one day ahead of Options expiration, even if the market is headed down.

5. I will expect my Puts to become worthless. I will first buy the next month's Puts, then sell this month's Puts.



LESSONS FROM NASDAQ FALL, WHICH I HAD PREDICTED

I guess I could argue that I got a bit unlucky this past week. I had been expecting a NASDAQ fall, for more than two weeks now. I had even predicted it to Chach. My largest options holdings were QQQQ puts. But I sold them all for little gain the day the market started falling, because I had one eye, or maybe BOTH eyes, on options expiration.

So, actually, I didn't get unlucky here. I just made a mistake. My MISTAKE was that I wanted to NOT LOSE money on my Puts. I had made stupid last-minute calls on CSCO and CTSH, and I didn't want to lose another buck on my Puts.

I need to think of Puts as money that is gone. The minute I put it in, it is gone. It is my fee for the gains. My insurance for the calls.

Also, I didn't realize that the market would keep falling. Because I wasn't in Predicting mode, sit-back-and-laugh-at-the-fools-panic mode. I was in stardust-in-my-eyes look at the dollars falling from the sky mode.

So I guess the lesson (and I have realized this a couple of times already) is that I don't trust my long-term insights enough. I get too wrapped up in day-to-day trading and forget about what I had written in my diary, or in my Word Document. Which is why I want to keep referring back to this blog, on a regular basis, to read my previous posts.

I need to remember that my biggest gains come on my LT predictions, and that LT predicting is my strength and my style.

1. Put buying – I will always hold Puts. Even when Options are expiring and market is going down. If I am naked, I will buy Puts even when the market is going down.

2. Because of # 1, I will stop having huge down days. That’s over now.

3. LT Value investing verses ST Earnings Plays –

I will spend 90% of my investing time forecasting the future and writing about it, and finding values. I will spend 10% of my time looking at my portfolio. Fundamentally, because of who I am and want to be, I am more comfortable sitting back and reading and hiking and meditating than I am glued to my computer mindlessly watching tickers go up and down. As I have seen, I am better at forecasting than most others. It is when I get caught up in the day-to-day jumble or panic that I lose my forecasting edge. Because I am not a technical analyst that is also when I make mistakes - such as buying too soon when a stock is going down.

2 comments:

Teague said...

Great work. Just remember to follow your own very sound advice and you should be fine. And serve your soul first, then the mind.

sherman said...

Nitin

good idea. Now you will be accountable for your ideas. Be careful what you wish for.

SLT is still below value in India. IBN is at par with India value but both should do well if US market holds above 100 points